This was one of the first clean pulled pork recipes we’ve ever tried, and it was a SUCCESS! Not sure if it has a full-on BBQ flavor, but we love it regardless! It has a tidbit of a kick to it, and a lot of great flavor. The coleslaw pares well with it too. We love to throw in some Dave’s Killer Bread Million Dollar Buns as well. Got the recipes from 100 Days of Real Food Blog and ifoodreal.
PULLED PORK INGREDIENTS
- 2-3 tbsp paprika
- 0.5 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tspn garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and cut in half
- 3 to 3 ½ pounds pork shoulder, cut in half (we used ours frozen)
PULLED PORK DIRECTIONS
- In a medium size mixing bowl, mix together the first six ingredients (all of the spices) with a fork.
- Pour in the honey, vinegar, and olive oil and stir to form a paste.
- Place the onion in the bottom of the slow cooker. Top it with the 2 pieces of pork and then pour the honey paste over all sides of the pork pieces. It’s okay if some of it (or a lot of it) just drips down to the bottom.
- Turn the slow cooker on to low and cook for 7 to 8 hours or until the meat is tender enough to be easily shredded with a fork.
- 4 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 5 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 4 carrots, grated
- Coleslaw Dressing:
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (nonfat or 2%)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp raw honey or maple syrup (we use raw honey)
- 1 tbsp organic mayonnaise (optional, we use it)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp coriander, ground
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, add cabbage and carrots.
- In a small bowl, whisk Coleslaw Dressing ingredients. Add to a bowl with cabbage and carrots, and gently toss to coat. Serve chilled.